Statewide Youth Broadband Advisory Council
SYBAC engages high school students on a variety of broadband related topics, where they identify trends and strategies to improve broadband connectivity. Meetings will take place monthly, September 2017 - May 2018, via video conference, teleconference, and/or in-person.
The Statewide Youth Broadband Advisory Council (SYBAC) complements state efforts to gain input from various stakeholders that are passionate about broadband, technology, and apps that require high-speed Internet. The advisory council provides Iowa’s youth a voice in broadband and technology. Ric Lumbard, ICN Executive Director says, “This initiative allows high school students to help steer the broadband and technology conversations. Our goal is to hear from the next generation.”
The SYBAC is composed of students enrolled in grades 10th - 12th from public and nonpublic schools in Iowa. The council’s goal is to gather useful information on what high school students feel could impact high-speed Internet in their schools and in their communities. Students will identify effective strategies to improve broadband connectivity and community environments, which could assist in advocacy efforts for rural Internet connectivity.
2017-2018 SYBAC Students
- Alaina Allen, English Valleys Jr-Senior High School
- Connor Baack, Southeast Polk High School
- Lewis Callaway, Clear Lake High School
- Kyle Cortez, Cedar Rapids High School
- Josiah DeValois, North Polk High School
- Austin Grant, Boyer Valley High School
- Beau Lapointe, Mason City High School
- Meghna Mallapan, Des Moines Public High School
- Olivia Moore, East Union High School
- Cole Mundus, Earlham Community School District
- Cole Schippers, ADM High School
- Lucas Schwamman, Osage High School
- Jonathyn Stiverson, Council Bluffs High School
- Olivia Tidwell, Sioux City High School
- Blake Van Der Kamp, Prairie City Monroe (PCM) High School<
SYBAC 2016-2017 Meeting Dates
Tuesday, September 12 at 1 PM
Tuesday, October 10 at 2 PM
Tuesday, November 14 at 2 PM
Tuesday, December 12 at 2 PM
Tuesday, January 9 at 2 PM
Tuesday, February 13 *All-day in-person meeting at 10 AM
Tuesday, March 13 at 2 PM
Tuesday, April 10 at 2 PM
Tuesday, May 8 at 2 PM
SYBAC members will:
- Participate in SYBAC meetings (by phone and online).
- Receive training in Iowa State University’s Security Literacy Curriculum.
- Serve as the youth voice to the Iowa Telecommunications and Technology Commission.
- Provide youth input on broadband efforts to create a connected Iowa.
- Serve as a council representative for a minimum of one (1) year, September– May.
Contact Lori Larsen at email@example.com for questions about the council.